Departing and returning from SULTANA’s home port of historic Chestertown (and occasionally other ports around the Chesapeake), SULTANA’s two-hour public sails are a great way to sail the Chester River onboard a traditional schooner. Passengers are encouraged to help raise the sails, steer using Sultana’s seven-foot long tiller, and explore the authentically reproduced crew’s quarters below-decks.
See what people are saying about Sultana Sails on Trip Advisor:
Quick Information About Public Sails Costs and Reservations
Tickets $30 adult/$15 under 12 (except as marked below)
free for Sultana Captain’s Table Members
Sorry, no children under 5
Reserve online (use links below) or by calling 410-778-5954 (M-F)
Advance reservations are recommended for all sails and can be completed online below or by contacting the Sultana office at 410-778-5954. If the online system will not allow you to add tickets to your cart, the sail has sold out and the buttons have not refreshed yet. Please call the office for an alternative date or waiting list.
Directions and Other Things You Should Know When Going Sailing
- The GPS address for the SULTANA dock in Chestertown is “98 Cannon Street, Chestertown, Maryland.” Alternatively you can park at the foot of High Street which is a two-minute walk from the dock. The GPS address for the Foot of High Street is, “101 South Water Street, Chestertown, Maryland.”
- If you go to the 98 Cannon Street address please do not park in the Fish Whistle Restaurant parking lot. There is plenty of parking on the surrounding streets.
- Feel free to bring a hat, sunscreen, water and thoughtfully packaged snacks.
- While SULTANA has a beautiful marine head (toilet), you may want to use a bathroom before you come onboard. Very nice public bathrooms are available at the Kent County Visitors Center at 122 North Cross Street, just a few blocks from the waterfront.
- The deck may occasionally get wet when SULTANA sails so please wear appropriate shoes.
SULTANA’S 2016 Public Sail Schedule
See notes on Music and Ecology sails at the bottom of the schedule.
|Date||Time (event, if any)||Register|
|Sat. April 23||11:00am-1:00pm(Ecology)|
|Sat. April 23||2:00-4:00pm|
|Sat. May 28||4:30-6:30pm(Tea Party Weekend)|
|Sun. May 29||10:00am-12:00pm (Tea Party Weekend)|
|Sun. May 29||1:00-3:00pm (Tea Party Weekend)|
|Sat. June 4||11:00-1:00pm (Ecology)|
|Sat. June 18||11:00-1:00pm (Ecology)|
|Sat. June 18||2:00-4:00pm|
|Sat. July 16||11:00-1:00pm (Ecology)|
|Sat. July 16||2:00-4:00pm|
|Fri. August 26||5:00-7:00pm (Music Sail $35/$20)|
|Sat. Aug. 27||11:00am-1:00pm (Ecology)|
|Sat. Aug. 27||2:00-4:00pm|
|Wed. Sept. 7||1:00-3:30pm (America's Cup Sail $35) TICKETS FOR SULTANA ONLY! Click here for AMERICA tickets|
|Sat. Sept. 10||2:00-4:00pm|
Fri. Sept. 16
|5:00-7:00pm (Music Sail $35/$20)|
Sat. Sept. 17
|Sat. Sept. 17||2:00-4:00pm|
Sat. Sept. 24
|Sat. Sept. 24||2:00-4:00pm|
|Fri. Oct. 28||3:00-5:00pm (Downrigging Weekend $40/$20)|
|Sat. Oct. 29||10:30am-1:00pm (Downrigging Weekend $40/$20)|
|Sat. Oct. 29||2:30-5:00pm (Downrigging Weekend $40/$20)|
|Sun. Oct. 30||1:00-3:30pm (Downrigging Weekend $40/$20)|
Descriptions of Themed Sails
Music Sails – All of the fun of a regular SULTANA trip with the added treat of hearing great music by local artists Lions of Bluegrass.
Ecology Sails – Help pull our 20-foot-wide sampling net to catch fish, crabs, and other critters from the Chester River. Lots of fun for kids and adults, too. And yes . . . we still go sailing, fire the guns, and do all of the other things that make a SULTANA sail fun.